courtesy of South Shore Local Development Corporation
The community received its present name circa 1860, and is named after Anna Seguine, a descendant of French Huguenots who were among the South Shore’s earliest settlers. This settlement is also responsible for the neighborhood immediately to the southwest of Annadale being named Huguenot. In 1929, immigrants from Spain purchased land along the Annadale shoreline, and founded a settlement that became known as the Spanish Camp, or Spanish Colony.Commercial Center:
· Annadale Road between Sheridan Place to Lorraine AvenueTransportation:
· Annadale Train Station (Sneden Avenue and Annadale Road)
· Bus Routes: S59,S74,and X24 and S55
Points of Interest:
Survey Result Details
- Need more street parking
- Switch sides on Sneden Avenue to allow more parking
- Address the issue that street is used as park and ride
- Review and redesign park circle area to create more parking
- Create a municipal lot
- At time of survey, lot next to Jefferson Blvd strip mall was being cleared for additional parking (residents have concerns)
- Traffic control signs need to be posted to slow down traffic approaching from both Amboy Road and Arden Avenues
- Buses (#55 & #56) have 40 minute wait times and stops running after 5PM
- Proposed sewer project at Amboy end of Annadale Road and its affect on traffic
- Street and Sidewalk Cleaning
- SIR property needs to be maintained
- Park property needs to have pavement fixed (has been blocked off for months)
- Security around train station / put back security cameras
- Need a Beat Cop for the entire area with managed time to cover AM and PM periods
- More vehicular and street lighting around train station area
- Issue of youths loitering in park, train station and wooded areas behind Jefferson Blvd Strip Mall
- Review of parking improvements including potential for municipal lot
- Request for traffic control signage at Annadale Road approaches from Amboy and Arden
- Annadale merchants coordinated several meetings to discuss program and forming a group to plan and manage future activities.
- Secured sanitation services which began in May.
- NYC DOT meeting resulting in re-assessment study of traffic and parking issues.
- Placed Lighted Holiday Archway at Train Station (12/15-1/15).
- Launch of the South Shore LDC website.
- Development of 791 Annadale Road (next to Annadale Diner)
- Renovation and additional parking project at Jefferson Boulevard Shopping Center
- Development project at property between Park and Ride and SIR property
- Security services targeted for June.
- Commercial to promote shopping in Annadale to run on cable TV in June.